Thursday, April 19, 2012

Day 3 - Kuantan - Gebeng - Kerteh - Kuala Terengganu - Kota Bharu 18th Apr 2012

Day 3 of my journey did not started off nicely at Seri Malaysia hotel. I did not sleep very well that night and I woke up quite early that morning at around 5.30 am with the hope to start my journey early as my next destination was Kota Bharu, which was quite far away. It didn't make me feel cheerful when I found out that breakfast will only be served at 7 am. What? who serves breakfast at 7 am so late?

I waited in the room until 7 am and helped myself with coffee, kuey teow and an omelette. The food was alright but it sure didn't make up to me that morning.


My first stop of the day would be the controversial Gebeng Lynas rare earth plant. I do not know what would I find today but I carried on after I set my GPS to Gebeng Industrial Estate.

It was a beautiful morning which cheered me up a little.

There were some signages along the way to lead me to the factory but before I could proceed any further, I could see a guards post which stopped me from going any further. 

I turned back in disappointments and decided to continue my journey to Kuala Terengganu. I went on the Pantai Timur Highway and had his view for me to take some pictures of the morning.




I carried on on the 3 and reach this arch into Kemaman at about 9.10 am. 


It is nice to be in Terengganu, although I was just passing by. 

I carried on my journey on the T131, T13, and the T6 and then back on the 3 again, until I reach Kerteh where I saw many oil factories here. 


I carried on until I see this very nice bridge at Dungun and I decided to take a break. 

Spotted this very nice beach, another photo opportunity. 

The view at the beach was simply breathtaking. 


Then I continue to ride on the 3. The road was just straight all the way and there was a motorcycle lane on the left. 


Until I discovered a small little path into the beach then I decided to explore again.

The view was really amazing, with a swing and a beautiful beach. People here really know how to enjoy their life.  



Found some nice bends on the 3 along the way to Kuala Terengganu. 

Finally I have reach Kuala Terengganu. It was around 12.30 noon and I decided to take a rest as I have been riding for half a day. The weather was hot and I took off my gears and sat down for a while and enjoy a can of coke. 


After checking my map, I have decided to continue my journey inland on the 3, away from the beach. I thought that this was will bring me to Kota Bharu earlier. But this turned out to be not the best decision on the trip. The better route would be on the T1 and the T3 along the beach. I get to know about this after I reach Kota Bharu when I discussed my routes with the locals. 

I refuelled at Permaisuri. 

Then I have arrived Besut after another 3 hours of boring ride, things turn to the worse when it started to rain. I decided to put on my wet gear again. This was only my second time to put on my wet gear thus far. But it turned out to be a bad decision as after just minutes of riding, the sky opened and the rest of the journey to Kota Bharu was bone dry. 

It was a big relief to reach Kota Bharu. It was a totally different town compare to Terengganu once you arrive you will notice the road condition was not as good as the ones in Terengganu. There were many people riding without a helmet and going the opposite direction and plenty more speeding and driving dangerously. 

I arrived at my destination at around 4.30 pm after a full day of riding and checked into Tune Hotel, Kota Bharu. This turned out to be the best hotel I have stayed on my whole trip. The basic room cost me RM 45 and another RM 15 for the AC, shower towel and some soaps. 

No complaints from me. 

And it smells nice too. 

Bathroom that was big enough, at least for me. Again, no complains here. 

Due to the earlier traumatized experiences which I endured riding to the city, I took some rest and had a hot shower then I decided to explore the city, but this time, in a cab. 

Began to be a proud owner of my bike for being able to get all the way here. This picture was taken from just outside the hotel, which was the back entrance of KB Mall. 

I hailed down an old cab and I headed to the nearby pasar borong. The fare was RM 12, which I had a little misunderstanding from the driver as I could not understand his Kelantanese accent. 




Many things were sold here but nothing caught my eye. 

Until I saw a row of local food. 


Have you ever seen a clinic which was so colourful? 

I bought some of these which turned out to be a local dessert but I didn't know what it was. But they were delicious. 

I decided to find myself a table and sit down. 


I sat down here and ordered myself a fried rice and a cold lemon tea. I paid RM 5.50 for this meal and then I was full. 

After my meal, I was tired and I decided to head back to the hotel and leave the rest of the exploring in the morning. This is the hotel with a 24 hours cafe.



No comments:

Post a Comment