Friday, September 7, 2012

Amsterdam at Night, Jul 2012


Other than biking. another passion of mine is photography. 

I took up this hobby when I had my first baby boy, that was back in 2009 when my son was 1 years old. My wife and I took many photos of him using our phone camera and decided that he deserves better hence we invested on a Nikon D3000. 

3 years on the camera had really taken many thousands of pictures for our little family. And thanks to my loyal friend, who was a moving information desk answered everything I needed to know about taking photos using a SLR. 

Honestly, taking up photography was one of the most interesting hobby for me to date. One thing to note about it is that it does not come cheap. Any photography enthusiast will tell you the same thing. But here I am using a compact size SLR and complaining about the cost of it all, while I have not even speak about full frame FX format cameras or even the Mamiya or the Hassleblad medium format which would cost you an arm and a leg for owning them. 

My experience with Nikon has been a bitter sweet one. I really enjoy comparing photos taken with mediocre cameras with a proper SLR and seeing the difference just makes me enjoy having the knowledge of understanding how the art of capturing lights works for a person like me. However, I always believe it is not about what gear you carry, but what kind of opportunity you present yourself with.

It may be a neighbour's kid birthday party, or a family outing or even a big trip to explore the other half of the world, with a good camera and loaded with some knowledge, you could actually take some decent photos that could last you a life time. 

This picture below is a picture I took with my Nikon D3000. In fact, it is the very last few pictures that I took with this camera as I already rewarded myself with a nice upgrade to the very noble D7000. But that story should fit in another blog entry which I would be happily share with you, very soon. 
 

dam square 
f8
exposure: 6s
iso 100
focal length: 27mm 

like what you see? please comment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment