Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Dec 2016 - KL to Boten - Golden Triangle - Mae Hong Son 1,864 Corners - Day 3

Monday - Total distance 324 KM
Chiang Mai (KM0/R118) - Singha Park (R1211) - Chiang Rai (R1) - Sob Ruak (R1216/1290) - Chiang Khong (KM 324 KM R1290)

The morning after a very rough previous day I woke up and was looking for coffee. Steven was still asleep and I wonder whether I was awaken by the sound of his deep sleep or was it the traffic noise from the window I deliberately left opened for the cigarette smoke.

I remembered that at this point I still had 3 packs of my Sempoerna and it was around eight in the morning.

I took a quick shower and went downstairs, started the bike and went looking for coffee. I thought of bringing Steven to the temple later to pray for good and safe riding days ahead after breakfast at the market. I was a little hungry so I went to McDonald's where I knew they serve good coffee.

McDonalds opposite Taphae gate was not crowded in the morning. I went in and ordered coffee from a pleasant looking waitress who spoke decent English. Naturally this would be the place where they usually do. I had my hot coffee outside, sitting in the cool December breeze with a seemingly drunk farang sleeping at the next table.


By the time I finish my coffee it was close to 10 am and I head back to the hotel to find Steven already washed up and sitting in bed. I got him ready for breakfast and ask him to take me pillion on his bike. I didn't notice his uneasiness of not gearing up and riding in town.

Only after breakfast at the market I discovered that Wat Chediluang has started collecting entrance fee.

Wat Chediluang looks as stunning as ever. I pray for safe ride and my future return to visit.






After the visit to the temple, we then dropped by at the train station. The Chiang Mai station is the last stop for northbound line.


I dropped by the station to ask about the train schedule and bought our tickets at the advise of one of the friendly ladies. She said to be there by noon for the 5 pm train which heads to Bangkok.The cost of the sleeper upper deck from Chiang Mai to Bangkok was 771 baht, arriving 6.15 am the next day. We would need to arrive earlier for the workers to load the bike earlier and to be sure that there are enough space in the train for both our bikes. With a sigh of relief that we more or less confirmed our tickets later on, we went back to the hotel and geared up.


After gearing up, we head towards Singha Park via route 118 northbound. The total distance from the hotel to Singha Park was about 3 hours or about 180 km. We followed route 118 until the final half hour we got off the highway and got on route 1211.


On the way to Singha park we stopped by this cafe that has a room full of exotic paintings.

Notice that other smaller paintings are strategically placed for purpose of censorship.

After the coffee stop, we followed the 118, then the 1211. More info about Singha park could be found here. We continue the ride and headed towards our next stop, Golden Triangle park at Chiang Saen.

By the time we got to Golden Triangle Park it was already nearly 5 pm local time. We took a break and I get the chance to chat with this Thai lady who could speak fluent Chinese.

After the break we changed our visor to clear ones as it was getting dark. We took the 1290 towards Chiang Khong and decided to spend the night there.

The Nam Khong Riverside turned out to be a clean and value for money hotel. I would definitely recommend it.

The morning sun greeting from the land of a million elephant overseeing the mighty Mekong.




No comments:

Post a Comment